You’ve just kicked off your cookie dough and/or gift wrap fundraiser and everyone involved is excited. Does this mean that now you can just sit back and wait for the money to roll in? Hardly! There is much more to having a successful fundraiser than just getting it kicked off. It is an ongoing process that requires a hands-on approach.
Why is it that with all things being equal, some organizations always seem to do better than others? It’s all about follow up. What you do after the kick-off is every bit as important as the kick-off itself. Here are some proven ideas that can help you get maximum results.
- Remind the participants on a daily basis about how important their efforts are.
- Reach out to all parties involved including staff, parents and your community using newsletters, social media and your website if applicable.
- Have a specific goal and track it by using visual aids such as charts and thermometers.
- Offer additional incentives even if you are working with a fundraising company that provides an awards program for the participants. Examples:
- An activity such as an ice cream party, movie party, or fun night if the goal is reached.
- Participation awards: Offer an incentive for classes or the group as a whole if they achieve a desired level of participation (50% or more depending on the size of the group is reasonable).
- Drawing prizes: Offer a top end award such as a gift certificate, amusement park trip, tablet computer or other popular device for every one selling a certain amount (usually between 5-12 items)
- Silly and funny stunts can work wonders. One Principal offered to allow herself to be duct-taped to the wall if the students reached the goal.
- Have a deadline and keep it to avoid procrastination. If you extend the end date for your fundraiser, announce it the last day and tell everyone what needs to happen to reach the goal.
A successful fundraiser uses the same principles as a successful sports team. It is all about coaching, encouraging and monitoring the process on a daily basis. Stay on top of your fundraiser and you can be assured that you will achieve the best results possible.